Objective: Introduce basic structure of electric circuit and its component. Understand the relationship between software and hardware, and how to integrate them into a simple music installation
Time: 30 minutes
Materials: Makey Makey board and cable. Scratch software.
1:00–1:10 → Divide into groups of two. Make a simple scratch music switch board by connecting some short sound samples to “up” “right” down” and “left” button.
1:10–1:20 → Plug in Makey Makey board and start testing sound and compose simple music.
1:20–1:30 → We will use 15 friends, scratch and makeymakey to make a 15 person friendstrument. (see details below)
Homework: Use makey-makey to complete a simple music instrument. Play a few phrases of music and video record it. Share the video during the next class.
Here are the steps:
1. Make the Music Switch Board
- Divide class to groups of four.
- Each group use Scratch to program a simple music switch board.
- Two of the groups should program a complete octave (8 notes in total) and the rest of the groups could program short instrumental effects or music clips.
2. Connect Makey Makey
- now connect cable to Makey Makey
connect five alligator clip to the board. one more alligator clip to the ground on the board